Co-Founders of SC&S

Co-Founders of SC&S

Monday, February 14, 2011

Mom's Buttermilk Pie

Buttermilk Pie.... my mother's specialty!

One of my favorite things for my mom to bake is a Buttermilk Pie.  I remember always hoping she would have one cooling on the stove whenever I drove home from A&M for a visit.  Who can resist the creamy, rich satisfaction you get in every bite?  Try it, you'll keep comin' back for more!

Pie Filling Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk (or 2/3 cup milk + 2/3 TBSP. vinegar)
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Pie Crust:
Mash together the following with a fork...
1 3/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 cup. Crisco
Then add 4-5 tbsp. COLD water!  
Sprinkle flour on wax paper and roll out dough.
Obviously, at this point you'll want to put the dough in a pie plate.
Wondering how to make the pie edges look pretty?  Stay tuned!




I rarely have buttermilk on hand, so I usually use vinegar and regular milk to get the buttermilk taste.  Works like a charm!


Shh!  Don't tell my mom, but I used a pre-made pie crust this time!  Hers is clearly much tastier, and doesn't break apart like this one.

Look who I caught getting every last drop of the delicious buttermilk pie filling!


Perfection!  Now all we need to do is figure out how to make our pie crust look pretty.  All Southern Belles should be able to do that, right?

1 comment: